Sunday, August 17, 2014

My Uncle The Shepherd

Then I will give you shepherds after my own heart, who will lead you with knowledge and understanding. 
-Jeremiah 3:15 NIV

Last night, we celebrated the retirement of my uncle following his 33 years as pastor of a living and growing church that serves a city of 100,000 people. As I sat and listened to his congregation and his fellow leaders relate stories and significant moments which they had shared with him over time, I contemplated my own many experiences of visiting this church - recollections which revealed that my uncle's role of leadership in this church has been woven into my family heritage throughout the years of my life: Sunday morning services over summer vacation visits, lovely cousin weddings followed by precious pastel baby showers, milestone celebrations among tearful family funerals, seasonal celebrations of Christmas and Easter miracles, and numerous happenings and occasions in the in-between. My memories of this church are accented with feelings of contentment and nostalgia, a bit of wistfulness and much affection, and always always with a sense of love and comfort and family.

In considering my uncle himself, I know without a doubt that what he has taught from the pulpit and spoken to his parishioners is lived out in his life. I know that his staccato laugh and the half smile that is often playing on his lips are rooted in joy and notwithstanding sorrow. I know that the affectionate arm he puts around me whenever he sees me encompasses me in love without reservation. I know that the candor that spills from his heart and into his words can make me laugh or make me think or even make me roll my eyes at 43 just like I did when I was 13 years old. But, most importantly, I know that the invaluable truth which he confidently speaks gives me hope for what lies ahead, no matter what the circumstances look like today. I am blessed by the verity and faith of my uncle. I respect his shepherd's spirit which lovingly and steadfastly ministers to those whom God has entrusted him with. I value his fisherman's heart which has caught so many lives by holding out the love of Christ with patient anticipation and consistent grace. Most of all, I am grateful for the simple yet profound legacy he has created by the genuine life he lives which is a beloved gift to all who know him: Love God and love people, be faithful in hope, for the best is yet to come. 

 Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, watching over them...
(1 Peter 5:2a NIV)

Jesus said to them, “Come with me. I’ll make a new kind of fisherman out of you. I’ll show you how to catch men and women instead of perch and bass.” They didn’t ask questions, but simply dropped their nets and followed.
(Matthew 4:19-20 MSG) 

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 
 (Deuteronomy 6:5-7 NIV)


Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this: 
The faithful love of the Lord never ends!
His mercies never cease. 
Great is his faithfulness; 

his mercies begin afresh each morning. 
I say to myself, 
“The Lord is my inheritance; 
therefore, I will hope in him!”
(Lamentations 3:21-24 NLT)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Lora. That was beautiful. I wondered who you were talking about. :) Jeanne and I love and appreciate you and your family. And yes for all of us, the best is yet to come!!

    ReplyDelete