Sunday, September 28, 2014

Restored

I personally, am a person who struggles with regret. At times, I have wished for second chances to make the perfect decisions. I am aware that my desire for revision comes from the pain and adversity I have faced as consequences to my failures. In living through circumstances which have, at times, come about directly or indirectly because of my foundering, I have slowly learned that recovery from misjudgement is possible. I have even discovered that recovery can be a sure thing, that restoration is promised to be complete when I go to the proper source of healing - to my powerful and compassionate God.

My desire for revision comes from the pain and adversity I have faced as consequences to my failures.

Sometimes, the most difficult part of turning to God and exposing my pain, is exposing the cause of my pain. The thought of making myself vulnerable, admitting my weaknesses - this unmasking, uncovering, unveiling - it is often terrifying... it is at times humiliating, harrowing, uncomfortable... and always, always it is hard! But, I have learned that this exposure is really the only way God is able to cover my aching failure with the salve of his graciousness. It is the only way God can fill my open wounds to overflowing with his goodness. It is the only way he can smooth my jagged scars with the warmth of his lovingkindness. 

In my convalescence, my submission to God's ministration is vital in allowing me to gain strength and restoration from his mercifulness. Each time I am broken, as I begin to recover, I know that I must also take time to listen to his plan for my continual and progressing wellness. Often, I am familiar with the therapies he recommends: to focus on loving those around me, to live in such a way that I am surrounded in peace... and more recently, my attention is brought intently to the life-giving habits of faithfulness and of integrity. 

The values of faithfulness and integrity are often dissociated with love and with peace in the society that we live in. However, if I listen carefully to what God is telling me, it becomes clear that character does not consist of parallel values from which I can pick and choose. Each attribute intersects with the next and the next. 

God has shown me that love cannot endure separately from faithfulness. I find again and again that it is impossible to truly love another person and then disregard or abandon them, even in the most difficult times. 1 Corinthians 13:7 says,"Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance." When I move away from faithfulness, I move away from love. When I move away from love, I move towards pain and adversity, and so begins again the cycle of regret.

It is impossible to truly love another person 
and then disregard or abandon them, 
even in the most difficult times.

Analogous to the converging principles of love and constancy, are peace and veracity. True peace can never sustain without inward integrity. My peace is not authentic if I defy God's purposes in obtaining it. Isaiah 32:17 in the NIrV Bible states it simply; "Doing what is right will bring peace and rest.When my people do that, they will stay calm and trust in the Lord forever."

"Doing what is right will bring peace and rest."

God can do something better than changing my circumstances - God can change me instead. When I allow myself to be altered, to be transformed, to be renewed, stirred, molded - then I am restored… restored - brought back to the person whom God had in mind when he conceived of me, to the person he created me to be in this time and in this place and in these circumstances... restored to his intendment who finds rest in his goodness, who thrives in his protection, who gains strength from his foundation… restored and made whole. When I am restored, then I can persevere and experience true love in faithfulness, true peace in integrity, true freedom from regret as I live and prosper and increase and shine and abound… abound - be filled to overflowing, be made rich beyond comprehension, be well supplied with a neverending resource… I will abound with the grace of God!

I will abound with the grace of God!


Unfailing love and truth have met together. Righteousness and peace have kissed!
Truth springs up from the earth, and righteousness smiles down from heaven.
Yes, the Lord pours down his blessings. Our land will yield its bountiful harvest.
Psalm 85:10-12


Then God stirred the hearts of the priests and the leaders of the tribes
to go to rebuild the Temple of the Lord.
Ezra 1:5


And blessed are those who wait and remain until the end…
As for you, go your way until the end. You will rest, and then at the end of the days,
you will rise again to receive the inheritance set aside for you.
Daniel 12:12-13


“Don’t be afraid,” he said, “for you are very precious to God.
Peace! Be encouraged! Be strong!”
As he spoke these words to me, I suddenly felt stronger…
Daniel 10:19


Put on your new nature, and be renewed 
as you learn to know your Creator and become like him.
Colossians 3:10

4 comments:

  1. This is powerful because I can feel your heart. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like a devotion from Oswald Chambers', "His Utmost for My Highest"...difficult, but beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Ozzie and I are familiar friends :) It's always difficult to overcome your "self", right? But the view of contentment and the perspective of grace from the top of the mountain are so worth the struggles in the valleys, even when they are as wearying as they are. Well, you know what I mean!

      Delete